Synthetic turf is one of the new favorite landscaping options available for homeowners. Not only does it allow them to flaunt a perfect lawn all year long, but it can serve as a perfect baseball or soccer turf right in your backyard. However, the most attractive aspect of artificial turf remains its ease of installation. If you are a skilled DIY'er, you will be able to install your own fake lawn in less than a day.
If the idea of working on your synthetic turf sounds appealing, read the contents of this guide to start your landscaping project right.
The 5 Steps You Should Follow All you need to have a perfect artificial lawn is to follow these five steps:
1) Prep Your Lawn: Before you can install your field turf, you need to start landscaping and excavating your lawn. First, you should mark the area you intend to cover with synthetic grass and then remove dirt, grass and rocks from it. Afterwards, dig 75-100mm of the soil so that you can place infill easily.
2) Install the Base: Once the area is clear, it is time for you to install lawn borders made from brick, timber or tile. You should give the space a bit of compacting before filling it with crushed rock and crusher dust. Make sure that the area is smooth or else your synthetic grass lawn will have ample craters and dips. Also check for natural drainage so that the grass doesn’t remain wet for long after heavy rains.
3) Install the Grass: Now, it is time for you to unroll the artificial grass rolls you purchased. However, don’t install it just yet; give it some time under the sun to settle and allow the grain to run in the same direction. Cut as much fake grass as you need and roll back the rest for later. Connect the seams of the cut artificial lawn using tape and glue, but make sure that the seams are unnoticeable. Also, ensure that the seams are smooth and even or else they will mar the perfection of your artificial lawn.
4) Add Sand: You need to evenly sprinkle the surface of the artificial lawn grass with kiln-dried sand. This will help the grass’ fibers sit up and fill the gaps between them.
5) Fill with Rubber: Use granulated rubber on top of the sand to hide it and give your new fake turf a bouncy feel.
A Few Considerations In addition to this guide’s steps for installing astro turf and other artificial turfs, you should have a few things in mind to get the perfect lawn.
- Make sure that you don’t require a permit or authorization before you start landscaping. Also, ask permission from your neighbors because you may require heavy machinery that operates with a lot of noise.
- Have a bin handy to throw away the grass and rocks you excavate in step 1.
- To compact the area properly, wet it and then use a plate compactor.
- If putting green turf seems overwhelming at any time, stop what you are doing before you ruin the fake grass and invalidate its warranty. Do not skimp on hiring professionals to handle this task or else you will be paying more than you ever expected.
Share this post
- Tags: artificial lawn turfs, artificial turf, Batting Cage Turf, Environmental Benefits of Synthetic Turf, Football Turf, synthetic grass, Synthetic Turf Hitting Mats